Developing literacy skills and confidence in children with low self-esteem.
Through this project we support local schools in raising literacy, language and communication skills in these pupils. Polka practitioners work alongside teachers to establish the needs of each group, and prepare a tailor-made programme of workshops delivered throughout the Spring and Summer terms.
The project aims to:
- Increase creative confidence
- Promote pleasure in reading and motivation to read
- Develop vocabulary and comprehension
- Encourage children to reflect creatively on their own experiences
- Stimulate creativity and imagination
- Encourage children to express ideas and opinions in their writing
- Inspire children to create their own stories
“”The Polka practitioner was very experienced and delivered their sessions in a way that was child friendly, engaging and filled with excellent practical ideas that I will be able to use in my future sessions to support creative writing.”
Year 3 teacher, Sherwood Primary School
“As an English Subject Leader, I thought the WHWN project provided valuable CPD for the teachers who were inspired to introduce the activities in their lessons. They became more confident in using drama, which meant a positive impact for the whole class.”
Assistant Headteacher for English & Reading Recovery, Malmesbury Primary School