AMANDA HOLDEN ANNOUNCED AS NEW PATRON OF POLKA THEATRE
March 14, 2018
Ahead of the opening of their new season and their 40th anniversary next year, Artistic Director of Polka Theatre, Peter Glanville, today announces that Amanda Holden will join the theatre as a new Patron. Amanda Holden has been specifically brought on to support the upcoming Future Polka capital development which is scheduled to begin next year.
Amanda Holden is an English actress, singer and presenter, best known as a judge on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent since its first series in 2007. She has also had an extensive career on the stage with key credits including Thoroughly Modern Millie (Shaftesbury Theatre), Shrek The Musical (Theatre Royal Dury Lane) and Stepping Out (Vaudeville Theatre).
Holden joins Polka’s existing patrons Sir Alan Ayckbourn, Malorie Blackman OBE, Sir Kenneth Branagh, Gyles Brandreth, Cerrie Burnell, Omid Djalili, Vicky Ireland MBE, Joanna Lumley OBE, Sadiq Khan, Kevin O’Hare, Dr Sir Ken Robinson, Michael Rosen, Derek Tullett CBE, Lady Vereker, Dame June Whitfield DBE and David Wood OBE.
Of the partnership, Amanda Holden today said:
‘Now more than ever we should encourage our children to lift their heads from digital entertainment and get out into the world. There is nowhere better for children to escape and have fun than the theatre. In any capacity! Watching or Acting. My girls and I love going to Polka Theatre. It’s special place just for children, where they can use their imagination, be creative and most importantly gain confidence, which is why the capital development is so important to enable Polka to continue the great work that they do.’
Peter Glanville, Artistic Director of Polka today said:
‘We’re thrilled Amanda has agreed to become a Polka Patron. It’s wonderful to have her as an ambassador for our theatre for children during this important year of our Future Polka appeal. We’ve just secured the Stage Two Arts Council funding and are now focusing our efforts on raising the remaining funds to redevelop Polka for the first time since we opened in 1979.’
For further information on Future Polka, please see: www.polkatheatre.com/futurepolka
Designed by Foster Wilson Architects Future Polka theatre redevelopment – key points include:
• New Adventure Theatre – the UK’s first purpose-built ‘Early Years’ theatre big enough to accommodate increased demand for shows for under 6s
• Rehearsal and R&D studio – Polka’s first onsite rehearsal studio, supporting its PolkaLAB professional development programme
• Creative Learning Studio – an expanded programme of play-based learning and theatre will be possible in our new centralised learning space, which will have direct access to a new multisensory garden and redeveloped indoor play area
• New bathroom and baby change facilities and designated buggy park
• Improved access throughout enabling greater participation by actors and children with mobility impairments
• An expanded destination café and redesigned outdoor playground
For press enquiries, please contact:
Amy Bramman / 07944 539 520 / firstname.lastname@example.org